First hospital stay

Today started out with me just having a sick kid…and dog sitting.  Now, I’m sitting in a hospital room.  I’ll start from the beginning.

I called the pediatrician’s office this morning after listening to Logan’s chest sounds.  I didn’t like all the wheezing.  The doc (and med student) spent some time with us talking about the symptoms he’s been having the last couple days.  One of the biggest worries was how hard he was working to breathe.  All his accessory muscles are really struggling to help him get a breath.  They listened to his chest sounds and decided to send us up for an X-ray. 

Logan didn’t like being held down for the X-rays, but we got through it.  Fortunately, the X-rays didn’t show any pneumonia (whew!).  The doc suggested that we spend the night in the hospital just for observation.  He thinks that Logan probably has RSV (a respiratory virus).  The symptoms of the virus can continue to worsen until day three or four. 

Before heading to the hospital, the nurse stuck a swab up his nose to get a sample.  They will test it for influenza and RSV.  Logan hated that.  I can’t say that I blame him.  I wouldn’t want someone sticking something up my nose, either.

We headed over to the hospital, comforted by the fact that it was our pediatrician who was on call tonight.  We got settled in a room and the nurse and CAN came in to take all his baseline vitals.  Then the pediatric resident came in to go over his history again and talk about the treatment options.  After she left, there was a respiratory therapist who came in to set up a nebulizer treatment.  They did the neb treatment as a blow-by rather than to try to put a mask on him and get him more upset.

Tim came down and brought me some clothes, my laptop and my Microbiology book.  I am going to try to get a start on reading the next chapter.  I’m a little disappointed that I didn’t get my lab assignment done for this week.  I was planning on finishing it this afternoon after Logan’s appointment.  Fortunately, I have a very understanding instructor.

I have to keep track of everything tonight.  I have to write down when and how much Logan eats.  I have to save all his diapers so that they can weigh them.  I’m sure that I won’t be getting much sleep tonight.  I am hoping that the test results come back early tomorrow.  I am hoping that Logan stays stable and that he doesn’t get any worse as this virus has its way with him.





3 thoughts on “First hospital stay

  1. Pingback: Looking back on 2011 « (G)O'Donnell

  2. Oh, goodness! Heather, I’m so sorry that this is going on! We’ll be praying for you as Logan recovers.

    Good luck with the homework – and thank you for continuing to share the stories of your life. It’s fun to see how much you’ve been enjoying that baby of yours. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s