Plan B

Yesterday did not go as planned.

My plan was to be on-call with the ambulance from 6am to 6pm.   Jaden would be at school.  Logan would be at day care.  Tim would pick them both up when he got done with work.  I was going to run a few miles on the treadmill…hopefully 6, or so.  I was going to go to physical therapy and the chiropractor in the afternoon.  I was going to get some laundry done and, maybe, take a nap.

Instead, the weatherman decided that there would be snow this week.  So, on Monday night, Tim decided that he was going to take Tuesday off work and drive 4 hours to Galena, IL to buy a new jeep.  While this sounds impulsive (and it is), we knew that he would need a new jeep before this winter.  We had ordered one from the local jeep dealership.  Since Tim delivers mail for a living, he orders a right-hand drive vehicle.  This means that it has to be specially made…no used vehicle will work.  So, the dealership, contacted the factory and the factory built Tim’s jeep. And then it sat there.  For several weeks.  Apparently, there is some sort of transportation strike that is preventing Tim’s jeep from leaving the factory and making the trip to the dealership.  On Monday, Tim called the dealership and canceled the order.  They felt horrible.  He called the company in Illinois that makes the right-hand drive Jeep Wranglers and told them that he would be there on Tuesday.  He called his sub at work and said that he was taking Tuesday off.  And he drove roughly 400 miles yesterday to get his new vehicle (which had a whopping 10 miles on it when he picked it up).

While I am happy that Tim now has a 4 wheel drive Jeep to deal with Wisconsin winters, I am still mourning the depletion of our savings account.  There is really nothing in this world that makes me feel better than having a financial security blanket.  I feel much safer knowing that we have a bit of a cushion if anything should happen.  You never know when there might be a family emergency requiring you to travel across the country, or when a car might break down, or when you might need a major home repair (like last year’s foundation repair).  Right now, our savings account balance is quite meager.  And…since Tim bought the Jeep in Illinois, we still have to pay sales tax on it, as well and registration and all the other fun stuff that goes with purchasing a new vehicle.

But, that wasn’t the only blip in my plans for yesterday.  Logan had spent most of last weekend with a fever and throwing up.  Since he had just finished a round of antibiotics for an ear infection, I wanted to be sure that he wasn’t still fighting that battle.  So, I made an appointment with our pediatrician for 8:15 yesterday morning. Turns out, Logan’s infection migrated to the other ear.  Time for more antibiotics. 

And, while I have the pediatrician’s attention, I thought I would talk about some of the problems Jaden has been having with his eczema.  The medicated lotions we have been using haven’t been controlling the outbreaks, and sometimes, he gets spots that seem to defy any attempts at suppression.  So, I was given two other prescriptions for Jaden, a cream and an ointment.  We also talked about Jaden’s occasional bouts of cold sores and what the appropriate dose of anti-viral medication is for a child of his size.  Congratulations, I just got another prescription.

At this point, Logan is getting fussy, so I trek off to my office in the clinic to feed him. Then we went back upstairs to the pharmacy to pick up the meds.  They told me that it would be about 15 minutes.  I sat with Logan for almost 30 minutes before going back to the counter to ask what the hold up was.  They informed me that they hadn’t received the prescriptions from the doctor yet, but that when they got them, it would only take them 15 minutes!  (Are you kidding?!?!)  So, I loaded Logan into the car and we made a quick trip to the grocery store and then made our way back to the clinic.  We drove around FOREVER before finding a parking spot and then went back in to the pharmacy.  The prescriptions still weren’t ready!  At this point I told them to just give me Logan’s antibiotic and I would pick up Jaden’s medications at a different time.  She assured me that it would be just a couple more minutes.

Finally, I got all four medications ($94!!).  The pharmacist came over to do
her mandatory consultation (which I tried to decline), and went into much more detail than I needed, especially since I had already spoken with the doctor about all of the medications.

When I finally made it out to the car, all I wanted was to swing through my favorite local coffee shop drive through for a latte and head home.  Unfortunately, my favorite local coffee shop was closed due to a water main break!  At this point, I was not willing to go without a caffeinated beverage.  I pulled into the Target parking lot and went inside to the Starbucks and got my latte…and some chocolate covered graham crackers.  Those are fantastic.  Then we were finally on our way home.
We got home at 11:45.  I fed Logan some lunch and realized that I wasn’t going to have time to run before my 1:00 physical therapy appointment.  I also realized, for the first time that day, that I was going to be taking Logan with me to my physical therapy appointment.  I snacked on something for lunch.  Logan and I went to therapy, where he had a blast, except for the time that I accidentally bopped him in the head while I was doing one of my exercises.

After therapy, we came home and I tried to put him down for a nap, but since he had slept in the car on the way home from the doctor, he wasn’t interested in a nap.  So, he came downstairs and hung out in his walker while I ran 4.5 miles.  Best. Part. Of. The. Day.  Seriously, I can handle anything if I can run.

After that, I took a quick shower, got dressed, went and picked up Jaden from school, took both boys to my chiropractor appointment, and then came home.  I made a quick bowl of noodles for Jaden to eat before he went to AWANA at church (and I am eternally grateful for our friend who picked him to take him to AWANA).  After Jaden left, I made a batch of dough balls (YUM!!), and had some dinner.  I put Logan in the living room with his toys and I sat down with my laptop to watch an old episode of Grey’s Anatomy.

Tim stopped in Marshfield on his way home to pick Jaden up from AWANA and show him the new Jeep.  Jaden was so excited that he fell asleep on the way home.  Since Logan never took a real nap, I put him to bed around 8:00.  Tim and Jaden got home around 8:15 and Tim put Jaden to bed.  I went to bed around 9:30…completely exhausted and yet, feeling like I didn’t accomplish anything (except those delicious dough balls!).

2 thoughts on “Plan B

  1. Pingback: Looking back on 2011 « (G)O'Donnell

  2. Pingback: Helpful Ideas to choosing the right jeep dealership

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s