Recovery so far

Or…don’t get your hopes up.

Well–this isn’t the post I had hoped to be writing a few days after my radiofrequency ablation.  I had really hoped that I could give a stellar report, detailing the wonders of a back-pain-free life.  Unfortunately, that just isn’t the case.

After the initial pain of the procedure wore off, I actually felt pretty good for most of Tuesday.  I even went for my first run in six months.  I ran half a mile, at a 12:00 minute pace.  This was exactly what I was allowed to do.  Half a mile.  Very slowly.  Every other day.

I got home from that run and felt pretty good.  In fact, I felt so good that I weeded the garden and then picked raspberries.  Probably not the best idea.  I went to bed a little sore that night.

Wednesday, I woke up and felt ok.  I had a job shadow scheduled for the morning and was happy that I wouldn’t have to deal with back pain while I was there.  I was on my feet all morning, but the pain wasn’t too bad. 

By the time I got home that afternoon, I was excited to go for my walk (the job shadow experience went really well!—a topic for another day).  My pace for the walk was relatively fast and I felt great!  But when I got home, and started doing the normal daily house-stuff, I started to have that familiar pain again.  Pain loading the dishwasher.  Pain folding the laundry.  Pain playing with Logan. 

Any positivity that I had carried over from Tuesday’s half mile run was gone.  I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry.  I went to bed Wednesday night in pain, depressed, despondent. 

Thursday morning dawned and I got up to go for a walk.  It was the ‘every other day’ that I was allowed to run my slow half mile.  But, in a display of incredible self pity control, I simply walked my three mile loop. 

I know that increased pain is possible for a couple days after the procedure.  I guess I had gotten so excited from that initial, very short lived pain relief, that I got my hopes up too much.  I’m hoping that there is still a chance for some pain relief from this procedure.  But, if I’m being completely honest, I don’t think it’s going to happen.  And I don’t know what the next step will be if that is the case.  Although I’m sure it will involve antidepressants.


2 thoughts on “Recovery so far

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s