An eventful weekend

I had a pretty eventful weekend.  I painted my own personal masterpiece.  And I finally promoted to high white belt in tae kwon do.  And even though I was beyond exhausted, I thoroughly enjoyed it all.

First, the cause of my exhaustion.  On Thursday, I had my very first solo on call night at the hospital.  No buddy nurse.  I was expected to be able to handle myself on my own.  That being said, there is always someone to call if help is needed.  I had a very busy night.  I (obviously) can’t share all the details, but between my 10 hour day on Thursday and my 10 hour day on Friday, I put in an 8 hour night.  I managed to get about 2 hours of sleep before getting called into the hospital.  It was an amazing learning experience.  And I was very grateful to the other call team who stayed to help me out.  All that to say: I was tired by the time I got home Friday night.

But, I was excited to head out with some friends for a canvas painting class.  I started with the blank canvas.  And a little wine.

Over the next three hours, our instructor walked us step-by-step through the process of creating our painting.  I am such a perfectionist that I had a hard time with it at first.  But after a little while, my sheer exhaustion (and the wine) softened my perfectionism and I just had a great time with the process.


When everyone was finished we posed with our paintings.  I think everyone had a wonderful time.  I would certainly do this again.  Maybe on a full night’s sleep.

Here is my masterpiece.  Not bad for someone with absolutely no. artistic. talent.

Tim really liked it.  And he is much more artistic than I am.  I think this would be a great date night for us. 

On Saturday morning I (tried to) sleep in.  Jaden and I had a tae kwon do class at 10:00 and then in the afternoon I had my first promotion.  I felt like I had been a white belt forever just because there hadn’t been a promotion date for quite a while.  Jaden came along to watch (and to see how I feel sitting through a few hours of promotions to watch him for 15 minutes).  He also served as the camera man…so excuse the blurry pictures.

First I had to demonstrate some punches and kicks.  Kicking is my favorite.  Then I had to demonstrate my form.  There were some pretty incredible athletes in the higher belts.  There was a gentleman testing for his high red belt and he was able to break four boards with an ax kick.  He was really fun to watch.  And, it gives me something to work towards.

After the promotion, we gathered for a group photo.  This is the group of students from my studio who promoted.  There was a slightly larger group from the Medford studio who also promoted that day.

The next promotion date is set for the end of April.  I am really hoping that I can get enough classes in and learn all my skills so that I can test for my yellow belt at that promotion.  I love tae kwon do!

And Sunday…I took a nap.


One thought on “An eventful weekend

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s